Date of joining Ben Line Agencies: 01 August 2017
Position: General Manager – Marine Agency and Offshore Services
Current location: Ben Line Agencies Philippines
Capt. Terence has sailed across the globe onboard various types of tankers for over 10 years starting from cadetship until he became captain. His shore-based career started in 2005 as a Manager responsible for the fleet personnel of Eitzen Maritime Services through a Filipino-Norwegian JV company called Aboitiz Jebsen. The company handled close to 400 ships and 10,000 seafarers where Capt. Terence subsequently got involved in various senior management positions covering the areas of Crew Management, Ship Management, HSQE, Training & Career Development, and Marketing.
Here we get to know Capt. Terence a little better.
- How did you get into the shipping industry? I joined the Philippine Merchant Marine Academy in 1992 fresh out of High School with a goal of becoming a Naval Officer. As a cadet, I was sponsored by Mobil Shipping Company Ltd where I did my apprenticeship on two of their VLCCs. Eventually, I got convinced that joining the merchant fleet was a better option, so I joined Shell after graduation and continued sailing thereafter.
- Who were you with prior joining Ben Line Agencies?I was with Aboitiz Jebsen for 8 years. In 2014, I was invited by UltraShip – a Danish Shipmanagement company under the Ultra group of Chile who wanted to establish a hub in the Philippines. I ran this office as General Manager before joining Ben Line in 2017.
- What qualities did you bring across to Ben Line Agencies from your previous employer(s)?I was moulded in a highly competitive, fast-paced, multi-culture environment where the default mindset is always move forward and up. I am a strategic thinker who believes in 5 I’s – Insight, Innovation, Influence, Intervention and Integration.
- What does a typical day involve for you at Ben Line Agencies Philippines?It will always be different but will have either one or a few of below flavours:
Insight – learn new things and impart knowledge to others (the team).
Innovation – use technology and creative thinking in delivering better services to clients.
Influence – bad habits are contagious, introduce new habits to the team.
Intervention – be aware and act.
Integration – make every member relevant and their contributions part of the whole.
- What are the biggest challenges you face in your current role? Matching the existing resources against the business opportunities and time – so much things to do and so little time!
- How would you describe your leadership style? I am generally a participative leader who would involve and empower my team. However, my professional experience which exposed me to various types of personalities and situations both at sea and ashore makes me shift to situational leadership whenever needed.
- What has been your finest achievement in your time at Ben Line Agencies Philippines?I have only been part of BLAP for less than a year but have already seen sparks of excellence, passion and shared-vision among the members of the team. For me – it is an inspiration and a source of anticipation for bigger things to come.
- During your spare time what do you do to unwind? 24 hours in a day is never enough in this kind of business but I endeavour to find quality time with my family to unwind whenever possible. I am also pursuing further studies so that eats up all other spare time available.
- What is your favourite Filipino food? All-time favourite is adobo – but I also like kare-kare.
- Finally, what is your message to the team in the Philippines? Vision – Mission – Values: we will define who we are and what we will become.